Project CCNx® exists to develop, promote, and evaluate a new approach to communication architecture we call content-centric networking. We seek to carry out this mission by creating and publishing open protocol specifications and an open source software reference implementation of those protocols. We provide support for a community of people interested in experimentation, research, and building applications with this technology, all contributing to its evolution.
Research Origins and Current State
CCNx technology is still at an early stage of development, with pure infrastructure and no applications, best suited to researchers and adventurous network engineers or software developers. If you’re looking for cool applications ready to download and use, you are a little too early.
Project CCNx is sponsored by the Palo Alto Research Center (PARC) and is based upon the PARC Content-Centric Networking (CCN) architecture, which is the focus of a major, long-term research and development program. There are interesting problems in many areas still to be solved to fully realize and apply the vision, but we believe that enough of an architectural foundation is in place to enable significant experiments to begin. Since this new approach to networking can be deployed through middleware software communicating in an overlay on existing networks, it is possible to start applying it now to solve communication problems in new ways. Project CCNx is an invitation to join us and participate in this exploration of the frontier of content networking.
- See publications and presentations about the technology
- Find out about the team
- Review the Project Roadmap
- Find out about Projects Using CCNx
- Find out about licensing and intellectual property
- For questions and discussion about the technology or the code, please use a Mailing List.
- To report a bug or file a feature request, please use the Issue Tracker.
- For administrative matters, such as filing a contributor agreement, reporting a lost password, or reporting problems with this site, please contact us as described on the notifications page.
For innovative businesses that are interested in exploring content-centric solutions to significant problems, PARC offers the option of commercial engagements to identify, co-develop and pilot applications using the CCNx protocols and the content-centric networking approach in general. We welcome business inquiries through the PARC website.